Job Title: Director of Mechanical Engineer
Reporting to: CTO
Director of Mechanical Engineering
Our vision is to make electric transport more accessible to a broader market by making the technology more cost-efficient and simplifying deployment. The company focuses on all-electric conversion kits for fleet vehicles such as light trucks, public transport and buses, as well as electric motorcycles and energy systems.
About the role:
We are looking for a highly experienced Director of Mechanical Engineering who will lead our mechanical engineering team and ensure the successful development of our products. The ideal candidate will have deep technical expertise in mechanical engineering, manufacturing, product development and extensive experience in product design, as well as strong leadership and management skills. The ideal candidate must have at least 10 years of experience in mechanical/hardware engineering, with a strong focus on product design and hands-on working experience.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop the team and organization.
- Develop and advise on the strategy for development of technology.
- Lead and manage a team of mechanical engineers in the development of new components , ensuring projects are completed on-time, on-budget, and to specifications.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the mechanical engineering team, ensuring the development of products that are safe, reliable, and cost-effective.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including electrical engineering, battery engineering, software engineering, industrial design, and manufacturing to ensure the successful integration of mechanical components into the final product.
- Develop and maintain engineering standards and best practices to ensure consistent quality across all products.
- Continuously improve the design process to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and improve quality.
- Manage the budget for the mechanical engineering department, including personnel and equipment expenses.
- Develop and maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers to ensure the manufacturability and timelines of designs.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest developments in mechanical engineering, manufacturing technology, and apply this knowledge to improve the company's products and processes.
- Provide regular progress reports to the executive team and make recommendations for improvements and changes as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- At least 10 years of experience in mechanical/hardware engineering, with a strong focus on product design and hands-on working experience. (pref. Automotive)
- Strong technical knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices, as well as experience with CAD / FEA / CAM softwares and development cycles and other design tools/processes.
- Proven track record of leading and managing engineering teams, including setting goals, providing guidance and feedback, and measuring performance.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to effectively communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to identify and resolve complex technical issues.
- Experience managing budgets and resources, with a focus on efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement and innovation within the engineering department.
- Scale-up experience of product with cost cutting focus and DFM
Career Level: Mid Level
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline: 26th June 2023
We aim to contact all our applicants, but due to high volumes of applications only shortlisted candidates are contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks your application has not been successful on this occasion. This does not mean you will not be considered for future roles so please keep an eye on our job board and apply for positions that match your skills and experience