Job Title: Quality Engineer
Department: Supply Chain
Reporting to: Supply Chain
Roam is a technology company that develops, designs and deploys electric motorcycles, electric buses and energy systems tailored for the African continent, leading the transition to sustainable transport. We focus on designing and co-developing tailored products for the local use-case that unlocks mass-scale deployment to a completely untapped market.
About the role:
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Quality Engineer to join our scaling start-up electric vehicle company based in Nairobi, Kenya. This position will be based in New Delhi, India, and will primarily focus on overseeing quality control and process improvement initiatives in our operations located in India. As a Quality Engineer, you will play a critical role in ensuring the highest standards of product quality, reliability, and customer satisfaction. The ideal candidate will have a background in mechanical engineering, hardware experience within the automotive industry, and a proven track record in quality control and process improvement.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
- Develop and implement quality control procedures, systems, and standards to ensure consistent and superior product quality.
- Establish inspection and testing protocols for incoming materials, components, and finished products.
- Conduct regular inspections and audits to identify and address quality issues and non-compliance.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to resolve quality-related problems and implement corrective actions.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and efficiency enhancement throughout the manufacturing and assembly processes.
- Analyze production data and metrics to identify bottlenecks, defects, and areas for improvement.
- Implement continuous improvement methodologies such as Lean Six Sigma to optimize manufacturing processes and minimize waste.
- Lead root cause analysis investigations and develop preventive measures to avoid recurring quality issues.
- Collaborate with the procurement team to evaluate and select suppliers based on their quality capabilities and performance.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with suppliers, ensuring adherence to quality requirements and specifications.
- Conduct supplier audits and assessments to evaluate their quality management systems and manufacturing processes.
- Collaborate with suppliers to resolve quality-related issues and drive continuous improvement initiatives.
- Develop and maintain quality documentation, including quality control plans, inspection procedures, and work instructions.
- Prepare quality reports and performance metrics, providing insights and recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure compliance with applicable industry standards, regulations, and customer requirements.
- Support the preparation of quality-related documentation for certification processes.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field. Additional certifications in quality control or process improvement (e.g., Six Sigma) are a plus.
- Proven experience (minimum of 5 years) in quality engineering or quality control roles, preferably within the automotive or electric vehicle industry.
- Strong background in hardware development, manufacturing processes, and quality assurance within an automotive context.
- Sound knowledge of quality control methodologies, statistical analysis, and process improvement tools (e.g., Lean Six Sigma).
- Familiarity with industry quality standards and regulations (e.g., ISO 9001, IATF 16949).
- Experience in managing supplier quality and conducting supplier audits.
- Proficiency in data analysis and reporting using statistical software tools.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced start-up environment.
Career Level: Mid-level
Location: New Dehli, Occasional visit to Nairobi, Kenya
We aim to contact all our applicants, but due to high volumes of applications only shortlisted candidates are contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks your application has not been successful on this occasion. This does not mean you will not be considered for future roles so please keep an eye on our job board and apply for positions that match your skills and experience